What is “Angry Artist Alley?”
>SCROLL DOWN FOR LIST<
As some artists, we sit behind artist alley to get pocket cash, exposure, you know the stuff. From budgets, to transportation/living, horrible customers, and well…if you never sat behind artist alley, you have no idea. And if you have…did you ever feel frustrated?
You’ve got stories? Concerns? Questions? Ask away!
I know there have been people who have sat behind cons before me, but I’ve started around 2004, and I walked in with absolutely no guidance (aka. i screwed up a LOT). This is just a blog that documents a lot of things that I have experienced, along with my peers.
Why should you believe what I say?
Who said you had to? None of this applies to every single person. So take everything with a grain of salt. If you want clarification, you can ask me or any other fellow artist in artist alley what their opinion is on the situation.
Have some thick skin before reading.
It seems like this blog is rubbing people the wrong way. It feels like I’m ‘scaring’ artists away from artist alley, that it’s some impossible feat to handle. The thing is–if you’ve read this blog and you’re still brave enough to table, and you survive your first table satisfied, then my job here is done. You are now set to table and can take care of yourself now!
Extra note: Yes I got permission from every artist in all these photos. And yes, anything that is a photograph on my site are all taken by me personally, or permission granted by the artist themselves.
Anything I else I should note before reading?
The information is mostly based on a decade’s worth of personal experience from the BAY AREA. From the stories my other artist friends tell me, the other side of this country has nicer people. I can’t prove them right or wrong unless i decide to sell, and not just buy at those cons. But my point is that what I talk about is what happens in the Bay Area usually. However, I make friends and some are travelers who go across the country and help me by telling stories or giving me opinions about these ideas (thank you Facebook!) Also, the information is an amalgam of experiences from anime, comic, indie, and craft events I’ve gone to. Some things that apply to a comic convention might not to an anime convention, and vice versa. Not all conventions were created equal.
Edit: holy shit I went to Seattle and Austin and yea…people are way nicer there, and the conventions are so well run there. Oh man, the food’s way better and cheaper than the Bay Area too 0w0
I made this page that includes a lot of the items I’ve personally used for my own setups, or that are commonly used by other fellow artist alley friends. No need to search for everything, I’ve found the basics for you! I’ve tried to find the lowest prices for everything as well to ease your mind. In addition, if you are selling any of your own work on Amazon, please tell me! I have a special spot for all the readers of my blog to advertise some of their work :D
THE LIST OF ARTICLES
- Angry Artist Alley: Prepping your health BEFORE the con
- Angry Artist Alley: Taking the ‘leap’
- Angry Artist Alley: Does Fanart really help? (opinionated RTX2016 experience)
- Angry Artist Alley: The Origin
- Angry Artist Alley: FAQ for Newcomers
- Angry Artist Alley: My First Time Making Acrylic Charms
- Angry Artist Alley: One order of Table Plz
- Angry Artist Alley: Where ‘da Conventions at?
- Angry Artist Alley: Not Selling Much?
- Angry Artist Alley: Partnering at a table
- Angry Artist Alley: When they got no cash
- Angry Artist Alley: Printable ‘Do Not Photograph’ Signs
- Angry Artist Alley: Set it up, Break it down
- Angry Artist Alley: How do I order a commission?
- Angry Artist Alley: Can you draw me a…..?
- Angry Artist Alley: How to DO the FOOD
- Angry Artist Alley: Take what you need, get what you can
- Angry Artist Alley: Great for you, not for them
- Angry Artist Alley: Why you should NOT get a table vs Why you SHOULD
- Angry Artist Alley: What kind of experience will you face?
- Angry Artist Alley: THEY WON’T GO AWAY
- Angry Artist Alley: My Art is worth TOO MUCH!
- Angry Artist Alley! This money stuff is COMPLICATED!
- Just another ANGRY artist alley day
- Angry Artist Alley! Your Customer should NOT….
- Angry Artist Alley: Time Killer
- Angry Artist Alley: Toughen up you muther!#@$#!
- ANGRY ARTIST ALLEY: This is NOT an angry artist alley.
- Angry Artist Alley: Let me photograph your artwork!
- Angry Artist Alley: My table’s OUTSIDE!
- Angry Artist Alley: How Much Change Should I Bring?
- Angry Artist Alley! “I’ll come back to your table later”
- Angry Artist Alley! What do THEY want to buy?
- Angry Artist Alley: Unsatisfied Customers
- Angry Artist Alley: Health?
- Angry Artist Alley: Why do people use markers?
- Angry Artist Alley: THE RED ZONE
- ANGRY ARTIST ALLEY! Q&A: Stolen Tape
Got a question yourself? Comments? Feel free to ask :D