Recently, I was given the opportunity to check out this highlighter: http://www.jetpens.com/Monami-Essenti-Soft-Highlighter-Pen-Pastel-Purple/pd/9163
Jetpens.com sent me a free sample, and here is my very honest review about the advantages and disadvantages of the highlighter…
1. This highlighter is an adjustable-clip pen, which allows you to clip onto heavy and thick things (although I doubt the usefulness of this thing). A nifty extra piece, I suppose, in case you want to clip it on the side of your shirt or on a thick, heavy binder. Either way, a nice extra piece without paying so much extra cash for it.
2. Regarding the tip of this marker-pen, it’s a hard-felt calligraphy tip. Why would I call it ‘hard’? Usually, with felt tips, you can feel the tip pushing against the paper, but the tip of this thing is so hard you’d think you’re pressing on a piece of plastic. I would actually say this is a great plus/advantage compared to many pens, markers, and highlighters that have a felt tip. For people with a heavy hand or abuse their markers like crazy, a felt tip like this highlighter will last far longer than something like a regular o’ highlighter.
3. I was given the purple highlighter, so I cannot say definitely with the other colors. For this particular highlighter, I would say it is pigment-heavy. It means two things–the pigment won’t die on you in a week, but also means the pigment is so concentrated, that in some situations it would not be wise to use it to highlight words. I can highlight a line of words perfectly fine the first time, but the moment I make a mistake, and I need to highlight over another line, it would be incredibly heavy to use on top; it gets significantly darker and darker when you draw on top of the paper. Which leads me to another thing….
4. It can melt heavy pencil. This can be really bad and often annoying, but if you take advantage of that, it might be useful. If you try hard enough, yes it can melt through thin paper too.
5. You can literally use it as a MARKER. Good? Bad? Figure it out yourself! I personally think it’s a great tool, because it’s affordable and because of all the above reasons I just listed. With my usual pilot v-ball pen, it doesn’t melt that either. I think this will be a great pocket keeper for my wallet :3
If this was a highlighter, it would be: 2/5
If this was a cheap marker, I’d give it a 4/5